It's Columbus Day. The federal holiday celebrate the anniversary of Christopher Columbus's arrival in the Americas in October 1492. In more modern times, it has become a day for Italian Americans to show pride in their heritage.
While government offices and local schools may be closed to recognize the federal holiday, there is still plenty happening in and near Hauppauge.
Here's our list:
- Town of Islip offices: Closed in honor of Columbus Day
- Town of Smithtown offices: Closed in honor of Columbus Day
- Hauppauge Public Schools: Closed in honor of Columbus Day
- Hauppauge Public Library: Open, 9:30 a.m. - 9 p.m.
- Nesconset branch, Smithtown Special Library District: Closed
- U.S. Post Offices: Closed, will not be delivering mail.
Do you have any plans to celebrate Columbus Day? Share them with us in the comments below.