Every year there's a shift in local businesses. On Thursday, we counted down 7 Hauppauge businesses that closed in 2012. However, the storefronts left vacant due to the recession gave the opening and potential for new businesses to start up in Hauppauge.
Here's a look at 11 local businesses that opened in 2012:
* : A Commack couple is returning to their family' roots by opening up their own pizzeria in Hauppauge.
* SweetFrog Frozen Yogurt Hops into Hauppauge: A sweet new business is hopping to Hauppauge, jumping on the new frozen yogurt trend in time for the summer's heat. SweetFrog Premium Frozen Yogurt has taken over the abandoned space at 601 Veterans Highway and Route 111 between Five Guys Burgers and Fries and Vallarta Mexican Grill.
* LoPiccolo's Re-Opens Under New Management: The new owners of LoPiccolo's Pizzeria and Restaurant are hoping to bring authentic Italian cuisine back to Hauppauge.
* Rigatoni's Pizza & Pasta Opens in Industrial Park: In his pursuit of the American Dream, a Miller Place man is bringing the unique combination of Chicago-style deep dish pizza and smoothies to the corner of the Hauppauge Industrial Park.
* Wall Street to Host Grand Opening on Thursday: Hauppauge's late night clubspot will see the grand opening in September, after nearly 7 months of renovations under new management.
* Tutti Frutti Serves up Frozen Yogurt in Hauppauge: A second frozen yogurt shop has opened its doors in Hauppauge this summer, further fueling the frozen treats trend. Tutti Frutti, an international frozen yogurt chain, held the grand opening of its Hauppauge location in the Motor Parkway Plaza off Exit 55 over Labor Day weekend.
* Nesconset Bakery offers Traditional Treats in Modern Storefront: Fanny Cakes may be the newest business to open in Nesconset, but inside you'll find a unique balance between new and old -- contemporary imagery and decor paired with time-tested, familiar baked goods.
* Wild Ginger Celebrates its Grand Opening: Wild Ginger celebrated the grand opening of its new Smithtown location on Smithtown Boulevard on June 15.
* LA Fitness Opens on Smithtown's Main Street: After months of construction LA Fitness in the Branch Shopping Plaza on Main Street in Smithtown opened in October.
* Gold Medal Gymnastics Tumbles Into Smithtown: After impressing the judges in three other markets, Gold Medal Gymnastics Center opened its fourth location recently on West Main Street in Smithtown.
* Moe's to Open Thursday: Moe’s Southwest Grill, which took over the former home to Country Diner & Restaurant, located at 77 Route 111 near Uncle Giuseppe'sand Rite Aid, will opened its doors to the public in August.