The year of 2011 has come to an end, but there are a few issues and ongoing stories to keep an eye on as we move into 2012:
1. Route 347 Construction: New York State Department of Transportation will continue moving forward with its Route 347 greenway project. Construction is not expected to be finished until August 2012, but the project's impact is already being felt by residents facing traffic and several businesses have complained about losing customers. How will its impacts be felt in 2012? When it's finished, will Route 347 be better or worse for travel? Follow our topic page for the latest news on 347 in 2012.
2. Safety on Smithtown Main Street, Route 347: The battle to continue safety on Smithtown Main Street and Route 347 will march forward into 2012 as residents work to see plans are implemented to improve pedestrian and driver safety. Government and Town officials have agreed to and a Hauppauge family is fighting to have a dangerous Route 347 intersection changed.
3. Property Tax Cap's Impact on Hauppauge schools: Gov. Cuomo and the state legislature , fundamentally changing property taxes and school budget planning for many Long Island Schools. Hauppauge Public Schools is confronting the issue with a public discussion in January.
4. New Leadership in Islip Town: and has begun assembling his administrative team. His decisions could affect a number of issues relating to Hauppauge residents including regulations regarding the and the future construction of the Hauppauge Public Library's permanent home in Hidden Pond Parks.
5. Pace of Business in Hauppauge: In 2011, Hauppauge residents saw many new businesses and eateries move into the Hauppauge Shopping Center, while many stand alone buildings on Route 2011 remained empty such as the and the . Will new renters move into these and other vacant buildings highlighted in our Empty in Hauppauge series, especially ? Keep your eyes open for what's to come in 2012.
What issues would you like to read more about on Hauppauge Patch in 2012? Tell us in the comments below or email email@example.com.